What is Kotlin?
Kotlin is a statically typed programming language that runs on the Java virtual machine developed by JetBrains. At Google I/O 2017, Google has announced Kotlin an official language on Android.
1. Google announced Kotlin is an official language for android development. Kotlin is flexible and has some cool features and easy to use!
2. Kotlin is a statically-typed, modern programming language that runs on a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) by compiling Kotlin code into Java byte-code.
3. Kotlin is free and open to use.
5. Kotlin fully supported in Android Studio 3.0 and higher
6. Using Kotlin, you can convert existing Java code into Kotlin in very easy way and also it is easier to make new project in Kotlin.
How to setup kotlin plugin in Android Studio:
Follow the steps defined for kotlin plugin installation:
1. Go to Android Studio > File > Settings
2. Next, Settings > Plugins > Search Kotlin and click on Install plugin button.
3. When installation complete, Restart the android studio.
Follow the steps to create new Kotlin project:
Now,Let’s create a new project.
1. First, Open Android Studio -> File -> New Project
2. Choose empty activity and add project name, package name, location for project and choose minimum API level.